CLAYTON, MO – August 22, 2026 (StLouisRestaurantReview) A disagreement over the patio at one of Clayton’s best-known Italian restaurants remains unresolved after city officials again declined to approve a screening wall installed outside Cafe Napoli.
At issue is the patio at Cafe Napoli, 7754 Forsyth Blvd., where the restaurant installed a pergola and approximately 7-foot-3-inch screening earlier this year. According to reporting and Clayton planning records, the improvements were installed without the necessary city approval.
Napoli says the enclosure helps protect customers from headlights, traffic, noise and activity around the busy downtown corner. Some members of Clayton’s Plan Commission and Architectural Review Board see the issue differently, arguing that such a tall, largely solid barrier works against the pedestrian character of the prominent location.
The disagreement has now stretched across multiple meetings.
On August 17, the commission continued the application again, directing Napoli’s representatives to return with additional information and a more accurate site plan. No final approval has been granted.
For now, Cafe Napoli remains open and operating normally. Its official website lists dinner service Monday through Saturday.
Napoli says patio enclosure provides a buffer
The restaurant’s argument centers largely on the experience of customers sitting outside.
Architect Derek Lauer, representing Cafe Napoli before Clayton’s planning and architectural review officials, said the enclosure provides a safety buffer while helping protect diners from headlights, street noise and other activity around the restaurant.
Anyone familiar with the location can understand why those issues would matter.
Cafe Napoli sits near the intersection of Forsyth Boulevard and North Bemiston Avenue in the heart of downtown Clayton. The area combines restaurants, offices, residences, government buildings and considerable vehicle and pedestrian activity.
Clayton itself identifies Forsyth Boulevard as one of its important downtown transportation corridors. The city’s summer guidance for visitors specifically identifies Forsyth and Maryland avenues as efficient drop-off corridors during busy evenings.
For a restaurant selling an upscale outdoor dining experience, separating customers from that activity can be attractive.
But city officials are balancing the restaurant’s desire for privacy against a different concern: what happens to the streetscape when a prominent restaurant patio becomes enclosed behind a tall wall?
Clayton objects to a 7-foot wall on prominent corner
That question has become the heart of the disagreement.
Architectural Review Board member Helen DiFate offered one of the strongest criticisms during an August 3 meeting.
According to St. Louis Magazine’s account of the meeting, DiFate said that when approaching the property from North Bemiston, the enclosure appears as a black wall and creates an unwelcoming impression.
Her objection goes beyond whether the structure is attractive.
Clayton officials appear concerned with how a tall enclosure changes the relationship between the restaurant and the surrounding pedestrian environment.
Outdoor restaurant patios ordinarily contribute activity to a commercial district. Diners see pedestrians; pedestrians see restaurants; and the activity inside and outside businesses becomes part of the character of a walkable dining district.
A tall solid barrier can interrupt that relationship.
That concern matters more at Cafe Napoli because its patio has long been one of Clayton’s most visible outdoor dining spaces.
Napoli returned with a substantially different design
The restaurant did not simply insist that Clayton accept the existing structure.
Lauer returned to officials with a redesigned concept.
Instead of the approximately 7-foot-3-inch screening, the revised proposal calls for an enclosure of roughly 5 feet incorporating Italian-inspired stonework, open arches, greenery and lighting.
That represented a significant movement toward the city’s concerns.
The revised design received a more favorable response than the existing black screening, but it still wasn’t enough to win approval.
DiFate continued to question whether anything substantially taller than planter height belonged on that particular corner, according to the August 20 report.
The result was another continuation rather than an approval or outright rejection.
City asks Napoli for more information
The August 17 Plan Commission and Architectural Review Board meeting produced the latest official development.
The board continued the 7754 Forsyth application to its next meeting.
According to a report of the meeting, Napoli was instructed to provide additional information about the pergola, landscaping and screening, along with an accurate site plan identifying the property line and location of the improvements.
Clayton’s own pending-development records identify the application as “Patio improvements” at 7754 Forsyth.
The application falls under Architectural Review Board jurisdiction. Plans were received July 20, and the matter was placed before the Plan Commission/Architectural Review Board August 3. The city’s pending-applications page still lists the matter as under staff review.
The continued discussions mean neither side has reached the finish line.
Napoli has not received approval for the patio design as it currently exists, but the city has also continued working with the restaurant rather than simply ending consideration of alternatives.
The original work lacked necessary city approval
One fact is particularly important when looking at the dispute fairly.
The original pergola and screening were installed without the necessary city approvals.
That puts the dispute in a different category from a restaurant that received permission to build something and was later ordered to change it.
Clayton’s architectural review process gives city officials oversight of exterior alterations that affect a property’s appearance and design.
The city’s pending applications show architectural review taking place for projects ranging from facade renovations and signage to new buildings and, in Napoli’s case, patio improvements.
Restaurants operating patios in prominent commercial areas therefore aren’t making design decisions entirely in isolation.
They must consider building and zoning requirements as well as the city’s broader design objectives.
A patio with an important place in Napoli history
The debate is receiving extra attention because Cafe Napoli isn’t a newcomer.
The Pietoso family’s restaurant has been part of Clayton for decades.
Tony and Kathy Pietoso founded Cafe Napoli in 1989. The restaurant later moved to its current location, and the family expanded its presence in Clayton with Bar Napoli in 2003.
Over the years, the corner became closely associated with the Napoli brand.
The outdoor patio is an important part of that identity.
St. Louis Magazine restaurant critic George Mahe has previously described the space as arguably Clayton’s premier “see-and-be-seen” corner patio.
That history helps explain why the current argument is about more than a few feet of screening.
Napoli wants to make customers comfortable on a patio that is central to its business.
Clayton officials are considering what a substantial enclosure does to a corner that has historically been unusually open and visible.
Napoli has grown beyond its Clayton roots
Cafe Napoli also represents the foundation of a larger local restaurant organization.
The Pietoso family expanded from the original Clayton restaurant to additional Napoli concepts in Town & Country and Streets of St. Charles.
The original Clayton restaurant remains an upscale Italian destination serving pasta, seafood, steaks and other Italian-inspired dishes.
Its official listing shows dinner hours from 5 to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 5 to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, with the restaurant closed Sundays.
The restaurant’s longevity makes it an important part of Clayton’s dining identity.
That also means modifications to its highly visible exterior are likely to receive more attention than changes made to a less prominent commercial space.
Dispute reflects a broader outdoor dining question
A larger restaurant-industry issue is buried in the Napoli disagreement.
Patios became increasingly valuable to restaurants as consumers embraced outdoor dining, and operators have invested substantial amounts of money making those spaces usable for longer periods and in less-than-perfect conditions.
Pergolas, screens, heaters, planters and other improvements can transform a few tables on a sidewalk into a significant extension of a restaurant.
But the more permanent and enclosed those patios become, the more they resemble structures rather than simple outdoor seating.
That can create conflicts with municipal planning objectives.
Cities such as Clayton want restaurants and vibrant outdoor dining, but they also want to maintain open sight lines, attractive architecture, and pedestrian-friendly commercial streets.
Restaurants, meanwhile, want customers to be comfortable.
At Napoli, those interests have collided over one of Clayton’s most recognizable patios.
What happens next for Cafe Napoli’s patio?
For the moment, there is no final resolution.
The Plan Commission and Architectural Review Board continued the application after its August 17 discussion and asked Napoli’s representatives for more complete information.
That means the restaurant and its architect have another opportunity to revise or further explain the proposal.
The shift from a 7-foot-3-inch black screening system to an approximately 5-foot Italian-inspired design featuring arches, landscaping, and lighting suggests room for compromise.
Whether that compromise ultimately involves an even lower wall, additional openings, more landscaping, or another design remains to be determined.
What is clear is that Clayton officials aren’t prepared to accept the existing enclosure simply because it has already been installed.
And Napoli isn’t walking away from its desire to give patio diners greater separation from the traffic and activity surrounding the restaurant.
For one of Clayton’s longest-running restaurants, the disagreement has turned a patio renovation into a broader debate over restaurant comfort, municipal oversight and the character of downtown Clayton.
The next design may ultimately determine whether the two sides can find a solution that keeps Napoli’s customers comfortable without walling off one of Clayton’s most prominent dining corners.
Martin Smith is the founder and Editor-in-Chief of St. Louis Restaurant Review, STL.News, USPress.News, and STL.Directory. He is a member of the United States Press Agency (ID: 31659) and the US Press Agency.

